I told you about the Alphabet Soup Challenge a couple of weeks ago. You can sign up for that one any time during the year. I have also decided to host the Just For Fun Reading Challenge for the 5th year in a row, but that one is open open for signn ups until January 31, 2015.
This challenge is set up as a group over at GoodReads!
As bloggers we are all on timetables to read books, get reviews posted, host giveaways, etc
But we also travel around to other blogs and see books we would just like to read because of their recommendation or the cover or title catches our interest. The Meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey “It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?” adds more books to my Wish List and To-Be-Read pile every week.
As readers of blogs you get our recommendations, win books from us, pick up books at the library or buy them at a store.
But our lives are so busy these books sometimes sit in our To-Be-Read piles for months or even years.
This is the 5th year I am hosting this challenge to
encourage you to read some of those books.
12 books in 12 months.
Just 1 book a month read Just For Fun!
You can find all the details and how to sign up here.
More Challenges I will be participating in
- Read, read, read!
- There are several levels to choose from
Level 1: 100 minimum
Level 2: 150
Level 3: 200
Level 4: 250 or more
- You may move up a level but not down
- You don’t need a blog to participate. As long as wherever you link to is public so we can check out your books read.
- Reviews are not necessary but a list of books read is. There will be a post in January so you can link up if you review (I may do quarterly)
- No need to list your books in advance. You may select books as you go. Even if you list them now, you can change the list if needed.
- Books allowed: Audio, Re-reads, eBooks, YA, Manga, Graphic Novels, Library books, Novellas, Young Reader, picture books, Nonfiction – as long as the book has an ISBN or equivalent or can be purchased/borrowed as such, the book counts.
- Individual short stories in a collection or individual books in the Bible do not count
- Crossovers from other reading challenges count – they’d have too!
- Challenge begins January 1st, 2015 thru December 31, 2015. Books started before the 1st do not count. You can join at anytime.
- YOU CAN SIGN UP HERE.
I am signing up at the 150 Book Level and will have a shelf on GoodReads to keep track. I will also be updating in my sidebar.
The rules are really simple…
- Read at least 6 books that have any of the following requirements:
a. there is an animal in the title of the book
b. there is an animal on the cover of the book
c. an animal plays a major role in the book
d. a main character is (or turns into) an animal (define that however you’d like).
Level 1 – Read at least 6 books
Level 2 – Read 7-12
Level 3 – Read 13 or more
- The animal can be any type of animal (real or fictitious)–dog, cat, monkey, wolf, snake, insect, hedgehog, aardvark…dragon, mermaid, centaur, vampire, werewolf…you get the idea…
Challenge runs from January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015. That’s a full year to read at least 6 books.
Books can be fiction or nonfiction.
You may make a list of books at the beginning of the challenge or you can just list them as you find them.
Book titles may be swapped out at anytime (assuming you made a list to begin with).
Crossovers with other challenges are permitted and encouraged.
8. You don’t have to have a blog or write a review, but you can if you want to. If you don’t have a blog, just post in the comment section at Socrates Book Reviews that you’d like to join. You can post your books in there. Or you can sign up by joining my group on Goodreads for this challenge by clicking here.
- Books can be in any format of your choice (print, audio, ebooks)
I am signing up for Level 3 – 13 or more books and I will be keeping track on my Challenges Page and have also joined the group on GoodReads.
To find out exactly what a cozy mystery is, check out Cozy-Mystery.com. This site is dedicated to cozy mysteries and does a great job of defining them as well as giving a list of cozy mysteries. This challenge is NOT restricted to what is on their list, it’s just to be used as a guideline in case you need some hints on what to read.
So, here are the rules…
- Choose the level you wish to participate:
Level 1 – Snoop – Read at least 6 books
Level 2 – Investigator – Read 7-12 books
Level 3 – Super Sleuth – Read 13 or more books
Level 4 – Sleuth Extraordinaire – Read 20 or more
- The challenge runs from January 1, 2015 and ends December 31, 2015.
You don’t have to choose your books in advance. If you do, you can change your list at any time during the year. Books can overlap with other challenges.
Books can be in any format – paper, audio, ebooks…it all counts!
You don’t have to post a review, but I’m sure others would love to know about the books you are reading and may even want to add it to their reading lists.
NOTE: If you don’t have a blog and want to participate, that’s fine. You don’t have to have a blog, just post in the comments section of Socrates Book Reviews as you finish books. If you belong to a site like Goodreads and review the books there, that’s fine too. Just leave us the link. I also have a group for this challenge on Goodreads and you can sign up by clicking here.
- If you do have a blog, take the button above, put it on your blog and post about the challenge. Then add your name to Mr. Linky at Socrates Book Review. Please use the link of your challenge post, not the link to your home page.
She will have one link for signing up, one link for completed reviews and one link for your wrap up posts. She won’t be having a monthly link, just one for all reviews read for this challenge.
I am signing up at Level 4 – Sleuth Extraordinaire – Read 20 or more and will keep track on my Challenges Page.
Here are the rules guidelines.
1) All books that are part of a continuing series qualify (i.e. Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove, Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum, James Patterson’s Alex Cross, etc. etc.)
2) It doesn’t matter if you have 1 or 10 books in a series to complete it, it qualifies (i.e. if you only need to read one more Sookie Stackhouse book to complete the goal, that’s fine) The goal is to complete a series from wherever you are up to until the last published book.
3) The qualification period is January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015. Books must be read during this time frame to count.
4) Take the button above and post about it on your blog. Use the Mr. Linky at Socrates Book Reviews to sign up and make sure you link it directly to your post about this challenge not to the home page of your blog.
5) If you don’t have a blog, that’s fine. Just leave a comment to sign up at Socrates Book Reviews and tell us which series you are reading. Or you can join my Goodreads group for this challenge by clicking here.
6) Any format of book counts – print, audio, ebook, etc.
7) You should choose the series you want to finish before the challenge begins, but it isn’t necessary. It’s fine to change series during the year – as long as you complete whichever series it is.
8) Choose a level….
Level 1 (Novice series reader) – Complete 1 series.
Level 2 (Testing the waters) – Complete 2 series.
Level 3 (Experienced) – Complete 3 series.
Level 4 (Expert series reader) – Complete 4 or more series.
I am signing up at Level 2 again and hope to make it to Level 3. I will keep track on my Challenges Page.
Well that is a start. I am considering a few more and hope to participate in all the Challenges I did last year. I will be posting more soon.