One of the things I have been trying to improve on is visiting more blogs each week.
Doing this has led me to some very interesting blog posts so I am going to use
Saturday Surfin” to bring some of these posts to your attention.
Last week I announced my Just For Fun Challenge for 2013.
Today I am featuring more challenges I plan to participate in next year and
hope you will join me.
The 2013 Ebook Challenge
Encouraging readers to expand past just physical books to embrace ebooks in all forms, whether on Kindle, Kobo, computer, or any other reader.
1. This challenge will run from Jan 1, 2013 – Dec 31, 2013.
2. Anyone can join, you don’t need to be a blogger. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to sign-up in the comments. You can post reviews to any book site (i.e. Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, Goodreads, etc).
3. Any genre or length of book counts, as long as it is in ebook format.
4. You can plan your books in advance or as you read them.
5. When you sign up in the linky, put the direct link to your post about joining the E-Book Reading Challenge.
6. You can move up levels, but no moving down.
7. Sign-ups will be open until Dec 15, 2013, so feel free to join at any time throughout the year.
1. Floppy disk – 5 ebooks
2. CD – 10 ebooks
3. DVD – 25 ebooks
4. Memory stick – 50 ebooks
5. Hard drive – 75 ebooks
6. Server – 100 ebooks
7. Human brain – 150 ebooks
At the beginning of each month there will be a roundup post for you to add your reviews for that month. The linky will remain open for the remainder of the year, so if you forget, feel free go back and add them when you remember.
There will be a giveaway at the end of the year for everyone who achieves their goal level (or higher).
You can sign up at Workaday Reads!
I was surprised at how many e-books I read in 2012. I am going to sign up at the DVD level for 2013 and try to move up to Memory Stick by the end of the year. There is a big gap between those levels so it gives me something to strive for.
What’s In A Name 6
Hosted by Beth Fish Reads
Here’s How It Works
Between January 1 and December 31, 2013, read one book in each of the following categories:
1. A book with up or down (or equivalent) in the title: Deep down True, The Girl Below, The Diva Digs up the Dirt
2. A book with something you’d find in your kitchen in the title: Loose Lips Sink Ships, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Breadcrumbs
3. A book with a party or celebration in the title: A Feast for Crows, A Wedding in Haiti, Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness
4. A book with fire (or equivalent) in the title: Burning for Revenge, Fireworks over Toccoa, Catching Fire
5. A book with an emotion in the title: Baltimore Blues, Say You’re Sorry, Dreams of Joy
6. A book with lost or found (or equivalent) in the title: The Book of Lost Fragrances, The World We Found, A Discovery of Witches
The book titles are just suggestions, you can read whatever book you want to fit the category.
Other Things to Know
- Books may be any form (audio, print, e-book).
- Books may overlap other challenges.
- Books may not overlap categories; you need a different book for each category.
- Creativity for matching the categories is not only allowed but encouraged.
- You do not have to make a list of books before hand.
- You do not have to read through the categories in any particular order.
On January 1, Beth will publish 7 posts, each with a Mr. Linky (one for each category and one for your wrap-up post), on her blog so you’ll have a place post links to your reviews (bloggers) or leave comments (non-bloggers) as you finish up each category. You’ll be able to find these posts during the year by clicking on the button in the sidebar. (She will create those links on January 1.)
Tip: If you’re ever struggling to find a title to match a category, check out what other people have read so you can get ideas or be inspired. And remember to be creative.
To join in, sign up with Mr. Linky on Beth’s blog. If you aren’t a blogger, just add a comment. If Mr. Linky ever disappears, either try again later or click on the Email Icon in the side bar and send Beth your information, and she’ll add the link for you.
To use Mr. Linky: put your name or your blog’s name in the top box and the URL (web address) of your blog in the bottom box. If you don’t have a blog, use your tumblr account, your Facebook page or simply mention your intent to join the challenge in the comments.
I still have one book to read to complete this change this year and it has been screaming at me from my TBR shelf.
Just click on the button above to go to Beth’s blog to sign up!
If you like Reading Challenges as much as I do, you have to subscribe or follow this blog!
There is a team of bloggers at work there to keep us up to date on all the latest challenges. I will post the ones here that I am participating in but there will be tons of challenges out there for 2013 and some start at different times of the year. I subscribe to the blog via email so news of new challenges land right in my Inbox.
That’s it for week 9 of Saturday Surfin’. If you see some posts you feel should be shared please leave the links in the comments section for people to visit. The weeks are too short to travel to all the wonderful blogs in the blogosphere but together we can help find and direct each other to at least a few.